2016-17 APPLICATIONS AVAILABLE!
The TIME 4 Real Science program is currently open to all high school students enrolled in Transylvania County Schools. Students are selected for the program through a competitive application process in which local scientists and science educators rank anonymous student applications based on their demonstrated interest in science, potential for success in scientific research, and commitment to attend all program components. Each year, more eligible students apply for the TIME program than can be accepted, so students are encouraged to be thorough in their applications.
Students are chosen by an independent selection committee based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrated interest in science.
- Potential for success in science research.
- Commitment to participate in ALL components of the program.
Why apply? Students will be supported in the course as they complete original research projects. Students benefit from doing research projects because:
- They see how science applies to their own lives and community.
- They learn more about the process of science and what scientists do as they act as co-learners with teachers, scientists and other students.
- They discover new careers in science.
- They develop independence—no one is telling them exactly what to do or how to do it.
- They learn how to break down a complex, long-term project into manageable pieces, develop a plan of action, and follow it through.
- They learn how to communicate their results clearly and persuasively to a variety of audiences.
- They contribute to the bank of scientific knowledge with their findings.
- They are more competitive as they apply for college and scholarships. The top colleges want students who can write as well as possess analytical skills, creativity and a multidisciplinary perspective. Most of all they want people with a capacity for continuous innovation. These are skills gained from conducting original research.
- Their perspective will broaden. Doing a science project and participating in a competition can give students the opportunity to meet and spend time with others from around the world who have similar interests.
- There are opportunities for significant scholarships, travel, monetary awards and other prizes when students enter competitions.